I would like to challenge the open source ERP community today.
A few days ago I got a great email from one of my readers. I really liked what I read as the email covers very well many of the questions and concerns that are raised today by anyone who is looking into open source ERP – either for his own business or for his customers. I will post the email as-is. The mail raises some issues in regards to support but also asks ‘which open source ERP solution best answers these requirements’.
The challenge is to provide the reader with enough information about the projects that will demonstrate the feasibility of open source ERP solutions for small-medium business with the business requirements listed below.
From my experience the #1 problem with ERP/CRM opensource solutions in general
is the lack of/bad communication via email, their bad/slow forums and poorly
implemented websites. (OpenBravo seems the best so far for communications) If they “shouted out” a little bit about supporting key business features they would have customers lined up around the block. More examples and StepbyStep Tutorials to help the “average” user. Sorry for the rant.
Some points on what I am looking for:
Integrated ERP and CRM (best so far would be OpenBravo meets Vtiger)
* AutoSave – User doesn’t have to keep saving/power outage (so 80s)
* Web based Client (unlimited simultaneous users, security levels)
* Handles barcodes (in & out)
* Accounting – GST
* Reports – BAS activity statement
* Customise – Invoices, Purchase Orders, Reports etc (svg, etc)
* Payroll – using Tax Rates etc.
* TimeCards for Employees – Timetracking
* Issue Tracking (like bug reports, etc)
* Email Integration (email comes in/out gets automatically linked with the Job # in the Subject line, etc)
* Integrates with an eCommerce solution (automagically), Payment Gateways
* Preferred:- PostgreSQL, Lighttpd, 64-bit backend
Easy to use and follow Dashboard/Home Page
Integrates with Asterisk (VoIP) (call brings up customers information, etc)
Security Camera Integration (ZoneMinder)
Prints out Shipping Labels
Wiki / Knowledge Base
Reminders via – email, sms, voip
Lots of Reports – pretty pictures, charts etc
Automagically import Suppliers PriceLists
Automatic Banking (bank integration)
Boiler Plate Contracts
OCR and Scan in Suppliers Invoices, etc
Text to Speech integration – reads emails, etc
The sole purpose of the ERP & CRM is to eliminate the mundane part of business and let Business’ solve Customers needs (i.e. sell more products).
The main point I want to get across, these “solutions” have to sell themselves and their products have to work and be very easy to use.
I look forward to feedback from the different projects.